5 Tips to Make Your Smile Pop for the Holiday Season
As the holiday season approaches, we know that we all want to make sure our smiles look as bright as ever! Although holiday parties and celebrations may be a little different this year it's important to feel great about your smile throughout the holiday party season (even if it is on zoom). Here is what we compiled here at Solterra Dentistry as our top five tips for the holiday season!
1. Prevent Dental Emergencies
We never want dental emergencies to happen, but during the holiday season, it can be especially difficult to experience chipped or broken teeth. Not only do dental practices have limited schedules, but it can be the busiest time of year for most of our patients, both professionally and personally, in terms of photos and events. You can do the following to prevent dental emergencies:
- Don't use your teeth to open packets or bottles. We are as guilty as the next person for using our teeth as tools but try to avoid doing so around the holidays as it can leave you with a chipped or broken front tooth during the most important time of year!
- Don't chew on hard foods such as popcorn kernels, hard candy or ice. While it can be appealing, try to stay away from foods that are clearly dangerous for your teeth!
- Brush and Floss Twice a Day. (please?) We know we can't force you to floss but trying your best to stay on top of your oral hygiene goes a long way to preventing painful dental emergencies.
2. Don't Drink Wine Before Photos
While wine is famous for staining clothes, the high level of tannins, acid levels and natural dyes in red wine can aggressively stain your teeth! That's why we recommend holding off on your favorite glass of wine before taking photos with loved ones and coworkers. That way your smile will look brand new, and you can enjoy a glass in peace afterward.
3. Over-the-Counter Whitening Solutions
While there is no over-the-counter substitute for the teeth whitening that we offer here at Solterra Dentistry. There are still some temporary benefits you can get from using the cheaper alternatives. Steer clear of the fads, and instead buy products such as teeth whitening strips from reputable brands such as Crest. While we don't recommend continued use, whitening solutions from reputable companies can give you the little boost you want for your smile around the holiday season.
4. Brush an Hour After Eating
An uncommon fact is that your body uses Saliva to help break down acid in the foods you eat. That's why it is important to wait at least an hour after eating to brush your teeth, especially after eating more acidic foods such as red meat, cheese, and citrus. If you brush too quickly after eating your teeth will wear down quicker than normal, as the food being brushed with it will act as an abrasive agent, harming your teeth's enamel.
5. Schedule a Cleaning and Whitening at Solterra Dentistry
Our last tip might feel like an obvious one, but scheduling a cleaning and/or whitening before the holidays can be the difference between you feeling self-conscience about your smile and lighting up the room at your work's holiday party! If you are interested in scheduling an appointment at Solterra Dentistry, our team is here to take your call or you can request an appointment and we'll reach out to you as soon as possible.
Check back soon for our latest blog posts! We love to engage with everyone inside and outside of the office. Also follow us on Facebook and Instagram, and don't forget to leave a review on Google and Yelp!